Welcome

Lifedrivedoc.com began as a place to talk about the Lifedrive. It soon became apparent that it was much more than that. Since moving on from my Lifedrive, I am engaged in more avenues of technology. That technology has intersected with my professional life - Medicine as well as my social life.

As noted above, the blog is about a lot of things in relation to technology. If you are looking for Lifedrive related material, I am currently dividing the blog so that those searches will be easy for you to find. Most of them will be pre 2007, that should help. Additionally, if you are looking for the links that used to be on the left border. They will be back up in a different format soon. I do enjoy reading about new things to do with the Lifedrive, so you can feel free to let me know about those. I will also post those on the site.

If you are having trouble getting an RSS Feed, click on the feed link below or type this into your reader: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifedrivedoccom


Enjoy.

Monday, June 21, 2010

Amazon Kindle $189. Now we're talking...

I was asked the other day whether I would buy a Kindle. My answer is the same now as it was before: "Yes, if the price was right." Ladies and Gentlemen, the price has been made right.

Why, you may ask, would I subject myself to a machine that only shows books? Produces a monochrome image? Doesn't surf the web? Is awful with PDF's and places a number of restrictions on downloads. Not to mention fails in comparison to the iPad.  Why oh why?

Well, here's the answer. At $199, I think that this product is appropriately priced for what it does -- deliver books. At $199, this device can hook onto a local phone carrier and deliver a book in under a minute at no additional cost. This device will tie into my Amazon account, where I have most of my books anyway and bounce back and forth between my iPhone and the Kindle.

But more importantly, at $199, this device, with it's non reflective lighting, meaning that I will need a light source to read a book, it's solo attention to delivering books and its inability to download or use Apps or surf the web is a God Send! Why? Because the last thing that I need is a major distraction when trying to read a good book. If I have Apps and a glaring screen, I am inclined not to read a book at all.

The kicker is this: Not only does this device -whose only negative in my eyes is that it is not completely touch screen - deliver an ADHD-free reading environment, but it actually beats my fair price of $199, by selling as of June 21st, 2010 for $189.  This is the tipping point for me. What a wonderful start to the summer.


LDD.

No comments: