Welcome

Lifedrivedoc.com began as a place to talk about the Lifedrive. It soon became apparent that it was much more than that. Since moving on from my Lifedrive, I am engaged in more avenues of technology. That technology has intersected with my professional life - Medicine as well as my social life.

As noted above, the blog is about a lot of things in relation to technology. If you are looking for Lifedrive related material, I am currently dividing the blog so that those searches will be easy for you to find. Most of them will be pre 2007, that should help. Additionally, if you are looking for the links that used to be on the left border. They will be back up in a different format soon. I do enjoy reading about new things to do with the Lifedrive, so you can feel free to let me know about those. I will also post those on the site.

If you are having trouble getting an RSS Feed, click on the feed link below or type this into your reader: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifedrivedoccom


Enjoy.

Thursday, September 29, 2005

CALLING ALL MOBISYSTEMS DATABASE USERS


Okay,

So there is this powerful program that no one seems to take notice of called Mobisystems Database. It parallels Microsoft Access in many ways. It has wonderful dropdown menus, the ability to pull up a form from within a form, intuitive editing features (but a poorly written manual) and many more positives. It is perhaps the best forms presentation program that I have ever seen on a Palm platform. Well, maybe a little short of Pendragons, but that particular software in its full form is usually a house payment.

So, one would think that with all of the power behind this software, its
speed, its wonderful graphical interface and the fact that Mobisystems
looks as though they used it to make MobiDiets (selling for 19.95) and
the incredible sample Database Apps that come with the program (all 5 of them !!!!!) , that Mobisystems Database would be an absolute must-have product, with incredible support and hundreds, if not thousands of apps floating around somewhere for people to download and use.

One would think that Mobisystems would take a cue from HandBase and Smartlist, their competitors-at-large and create either a competition or promote the product by encouraging people to send in apps made for it.

Well, you would be wrong if you thought that !!! I have been scouring the web for 2 months and have not seen one posting of a Mobisystems Database App. I have been trying to write a few myself, but have become limited due to the Lifedrive Fiasco --- ie. Every time I try to link a database to another database file, the Lifedrive Crashes !!! I await the update !!! As I turn blue, holding my breath, I am making a public call out to those of you who have this program or its original predecessor Mobisystems Access. There must be hundreds of you out there who have made apps for this program. If anyone has an idea where to put this up, or who is willing to host a site, or maybe if one of the powers that be at Mobisystems will give up some of that Free Ftp space that is so wonderfully distributed in Mobisystems Office to host this, I think that this would be great.

Additionally, Mobisystems, you are doing yourselves no favors by not picking up the phone. I have called your offices at least ten times in the past month. I am begining to feel like a Firefly fan, dragging this company to do something with a great product, because for the last 4 years they have no idea what a great product they have created.

For those in medicine, I think that if you don't have a Lifedrive that is prone to crashing, but you have a stable Palm Product, you should check out the demo. It is a little different and has a little more of a learning curve than Smartlist, which is my favorite Palm database for the price conscious. But this thing is very powerful. Its search features are wonderful. Its ability to filter out data and present it in a form layout is second to none. Additionally, one can transfer the files to a .csv format for printing.

What they do need is an ability to print out a form in its native mode. Once that is in place, this product would be sensational. If I were to compare it to something, I would say Pendragon forms with an Access twist for a fraction of the cost.

Yahoo Groups does appear to have a board on this product, with about 3 message entries the last time I checked and most of those appear to be asking the same question, Mobi, where are you?



LDD.

No comments: