Welcome

Lifedrivedoc.com began as a place to talk about the Lifedrive. It soon became apparent that it was much more than that. Since moving on from my Lifedrive, I am engaged in more avenues of technology. That technology has intersected with my professional life - Medicine as well as my social life.

As noted above, the blog is about a lot of things in relation to technology. If you are looking for Lifedrive related material, I am currently dividing the blog so that those searches will be easy for you to find. Most of them will be pre 2007, that should help. Additionally, if you are looking for the links that used to be on the left border. They will be back up in a different format soon. I do enjoy reading about new things to do with the Lifedrive, so you can feel free to let me know about those. I will also post those on the site.

If you are having trouble getting an RSS Feed, click on the feed link below or type this into your reader: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifedrivedoccom


Enjoy.

Monday, July 02, 2007

Linux Delayed.

Engadget is reporting tonight that Palm has again delayed its Linux launch. Citing sources close to Ed Colligan and Brighthand, the report claims that new devices containing the now eagerly anticipated Linux Mobile operating system will not be made available until 2008. Additionally, any new devices, such as the suspected update to the Treo possibly in November, will contain Garnet OS 5.x.

There are no words left to describe the let down that this is causing. Personally, I feel left in a state of undescribable pain. I have a Lifedrive that has seriously outrun its course. It is painstakingly slow and I have given up on using it as an entertainment device - leaving that to an iPod. However, as a mission critical device, I have no choice but to use it and it is lacking - Mainly on account of speed, but also on account of reliability. I cannot really add new software to the device without wondering if it will upset the memory and crash. I was hoping for some sort of emulation in Linux to resolve some of these issues. However, it looks as though Palm is going in a totally different direction now. Perhaps the days of the single function handheld are gone.

I wouldn't mind using a dual functioning convergence device now (I have slowly gotten used to this concept), but it would have to have a larger screen and possibly a pull out keyboard - Not to mention something better than OS 5.x as its operating system. Additionally, it would absolutely have to have at least 2-4 gigs of memory and of course be solid state. Legacy programs may be a problem going forward, as they were with the Lifedrive, but I think adaptation is the key to this.

So, a not so happy day for us in Palm Land. We will have to wait for further developments.


LDD.

No comments: