Welcome

Lifedrivedoc.com began as a place to talk about the Lifedrive. It soon became apparent that it was much more than that. Since moving on from my Lifedrive, I am engaged in more avenues of technology. That technology has intersected with my professional life - Medicine as well as my social life.

As noted above, the blog is about a lot of things in relation to technology. If you are looking for Lifedrive related material, I am currently dividing the blog so that those searches will be easy for you to find. Most of them will be pre 2007, that should help. Additionally, if you are looking for the links that used to be on the left border. They will be back up in a different format soon. I do enjoy reading about new things to do with the Lifedrive, so you can feel free to let me know about those. I will also post those on the site.

If you are having trouble getting an RSS Feed, click on the feed link below or type this into your reader: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifedrivedoccom


Enjoy.

Friday, July 06, 2007

Updating and trying new software and celebrating Timothy Allen.

Over the next few weeks, I will be updating my software catalog. I am salivating at the prospect of using a fully functional Native PDF program. I am going to try Dataviz's Documents (DTG) v. 10. I am still using version 7 at the moment. Or I should say that I have it stored on my Lifedrive, because I really don't use it at all, in favor of Mobisystems OfficeSuite, which I still believe is one of the best suites ever written for the Palm Operating System. So why change? Well, I could never really delete Dataviz's DTG without causing significant instability on the Lifedrive. Despite my complete hatred of the program (v 7.0), I always had to leave it on the device, taking up valuable memory.

I was unimpressed by Mobisystems' last offering of OfficeSuite. Not much had changed from the previous version and worse, they left the native PDF app to an outside company, Metaviewsoft. The product was buggy and never failed in causing a soft reset on the Lifedrive. Not to mention the product was originally a beta product to begin with. I really began to lose my admiration for Mobisystems after that, so I did not upgrade. But because of my dire need for native PDF files, I am going to give Dataviz another try. I have not read any reviews on the product from Lifedrive owners. And since Palm will not be releasing a solo handheld machine, ie. Lifedrive 2, I will have to make do with this one for now and see if it will not be temperamental with the upgrade.

As I write this, I am tempted to also update Mobisystems OfficeSuite. The usual upgrade cycle for this product is in July and I popped over to see that they are now releasing an upgrade to OfficeSuite for $9.00 which will include native Powerpoint presentations. They have also improved the GUI of the Excel program. It looks quite pretty. So, over the next few weeks, I may try both products out. By the way, I also noticed only a small mention of the PDF program, which is still being run by Metaviewsoft. de. It is a far cry from last years rave about the product. Anyway, I will see what Dataviz has to offer and see if they have finally solved the PDF dilemma on the PalmOS.

Additionally, it has been a long time since I have seen an update to HandBase. A lot has changed since version 3.00 and I am looking forward to using this product again. I am steering towards this product for the encryption capabilities. Additionally, they have some nice Form features that are lagging in Smartlistogo. I still have a few Handbase files that I use religiously, but I have not really tapped into the encryption capabilities and the forms. I am still in love with Smartlistogo. I love the desktop application and the simplicity in writing database apps. However, Handbase seems to offer a lot more, including the ability to write an app and run it natively from the launcher. Mobisystems Database has similar functionality, but it is not as useful. However, I still find a few cumbersome minutiae in Handbase that originally compelled me to go somewhere else. The nickle and diming of features is still going on. If you want to do custom wireless printing, you have to buy another applet for 19.99. If you want to do ODBC, you have to buy it - 99.00 for the Enterprise edition. Plugins ie. Treo camera plugin 9.99.

However, it is becoming clear that Handbase continues to be the Medical Standard for databases. Hence, I will be going back to it for a little while, porting all of my apps written in Smartlist and placing them in Handbase. I will (eventually) put them on the web site. I've "beta tested" the smartlist apps for over 3 years, so I know that they work. So I will eventually share them.

Additionally, per my last article, the need for portability is high. Both Smartlist and Handbase have data that is portable to a WindowsMobile or Symbian device or translated into Access data, should the need ever arise. Yes, after 10 years of being with Palm, it saddens me to say that this is something that I have to even think about. It's just not right, but success in anything is based upon having a Plan B. Stay tuned......


LDD.



Addendum:

And finally, on another note, I want to go out on a limb and put to the test a few old programs from a time gone by. In particular, I would like to highlight one developer who has offered free software since 2003 on Palmgear. His name is Timothy Allen. He has a few wonderful OB programs out there but I have not placed them on my Lifedrive, due to the NVFS platform. However, I will be trying out some of his programs in the next few weeks. Several updates have been made recently and I think that this should provide some stability to the device. If you're interested in seeing Tim's work then go to PalmGear.Com or go here .

You can also directly access Tim's website at http://www.fppda.com/ This is really quite good and you won't be disappointed.


LDD.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to see Tim Allen getting a plug. He's done some good work over the years.

JD.