Welcome

Lifedrivedoc.com began as a place to talk about the Lifedrive. It soon became apparent that it was much more than that. Since moving on from my Lifedrive, I am engaged in more avenues of technology. That technology has intersected with my professional life - Medicine as well as my social life.

As noted above, the blog is about a lot of things in relation to technology. If you are looking for Lifedrive related material, I am currently dividing the blog so that those searches will be easy for you to find. Most of them will be pre 2007, that should help. Additionally, if you are looking for the links that used to be on the left border. They will be back up in a different format soon. I do enjoy reading about new things to do with the Lifedrive, so you can feel free to let me know about those. I will also post those on the site.

If you are having trouble getting an RSS Feed, click on the feed link below or type this into your reader: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifedrivedoccom


Enjoy.

Friday, September 28, 2007

Centro -- ooh, aagh... Shiny :).

I have been looking at this device lately. Unfortunately it is on Sprint and therefore not something that I can readily purchase. However, what I would like to know is if this device comes to the GSM world, will Palm make an unlocked version? And if Palm does, will they still charge $99.00 or something ridiculous, such as $300+?

I think that this makes the biggest difference for the most part. For $99.00, this is a fantastic machine. A Smartphone, with a decent operating system and features. I also like the form factor. It is small and obviously appeals to the younger crowd, which is something that I am certain the designers at Palm are happy to have pointed out to them.

But would it be good for a Physician? I have not had the opportunity to play with one of these yet, but the more I think about it, the more I think this thing could have some corporate or medical uses. The camera can take pictures, so a lesion can be photographed and immediately emailed or uploaded. The form factor is just right. It could fit in a jacket or even a shirt pocket. The ability to use this device, along with another Palm device would be nice. ie. Use the Lifedrive for the "big" stuff and the Centro for the "small" stuff, while keeping the phone books the same. You could decide to bring the Lifedrive one day and the Centro the other. In addition, having a telephone which has the same phone layout as your Lifedrive is priceless. Akin to Apple keeping its users in the same garden.

The expandable memory, using the SD card could prove to be a deal maker. If software can run from a very fast SD card, then you have the equivalent of a "mini Lifedrive." So, I will be looking forward to reading about first impressions of the device. For me, I have finally decided that I want a device that does work. I am not interested in watching movies or listening to music on it. If it does this, then that's a plus. But the iPod does this in a way that I find difficult to beat. I want something that is stable. Now, if I can get all of this goodness in a small form factor and a ridiculously low price of $99.00, then it is something that I will have to look into.

To me, I think that Palm has made the right move. They have chosen the Microsoft approach, which is not a bad one to take. That is, make a utilitarian machine and undercut the competition. Subsidize it if you have to. Then put tons of apps for free on the machine. Keep the press busy and in no time you have ADOPTION. Your inexpensive device is suddenly everywhere. Centro becomes a verb and people wait for the upgrade or the next machine above it.

It looks as if Palm is thinking again!

LDD.


Addendum: Comparison photo of the Treo 680 and the new Centro, courtesy Palminfocenter.




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So do you think that this would be a good replacement for the lifedrive? Judging by your recent posts, you are still thinking about 2 devices and holding out for the all-in-one.

I too like the EEE. It runs windows natively and would be a good addition to the medical software. If it's light and can fit in my pocket, I'll take one.

But the new Nokia looks good and Apple opening up the iPhone could spell some interesting times too.


Tom.

LDD said...

Tom,

Thanks for writing. I've been a little late in getting back to you on this one. Yes, I am still in the Palm camp. I'm actually looking at getting a cheap refurbished TX, but I am still waiting. I have a lot of Palm Medical Apps that I am weary of getting rid of.

For now, I think that we can look forward to something really nice from Apple when the SDK is released. I don't want to jump ship, but if they get it right, I'm going to have to look into it.

As for the EEE. I really love this little device. If I can find all of the program equivalents in either Linux or Windows, then it will replace my Palm. For now, neither seems to be able to replace Smartlistogo, Handbase.

Good luck with your search.

LDD.

Anonymous said...

I am an emergency physician and recently got the Sprint Centro. I have to say that I absolutely love it. All of the Palm programs I have previously used work perfectly and the Sprint 3g network is very fast, opening it up to do all sort of things I could never do on my old Tungsten

LDD said...

sorry, i missed this response, but I am happy that you like your Centro. For me, it just wasn't enough. Hoping for the Palm Pre to make amends. Currently using both a Lifedrive and an iPhone. Will eventually dwindle to one device, depending upon software.

But I am happy that you like it. That is all that counts.

/LDD.