Welcome

Lifedrivedoc.com began as a place to talk about the Lifedrive. It soon became apparent that it was much more than that. Since moving on from my Lifedrive, I am engaged in more avenues of technology. That technology has intersected with my professional life - Medicine as well as my social life.

As noted above, the blog is about a lot of things in relation to technology. If you are looking for Lifedrive related material, I am currently dividing the blog so that those searches will be easy for you to find. Most of them will be pre 2007, that should help. Additionally, if you are looking for the links that used to be on the left border. They will be back up in a different format soon. I do enjoy reading about new things to do with the Lifedrive, so you can feel free to let me know about those. I will also post those on the site.

If you are having trouble getting an RSS Feed, click on the feed link below or type this into your reader: http://feeds.feedburner.com/lifedrivedoccom


Enjoy.

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Emptying the Pantry

Well, I have not had a lot of time to blog lately or post interesting articles. However, I do have a few articles that I wrote during the year but for one reason or another did not publish. So, I have labeled them 'Emptying the Pantry.' Some of these are a little dated, ie. March or April, but some are timeless. The first, listed below, is a comparison between my iPod and Lifedrive. A brief update on the article is warranted. I now use the iPod exclusively for multimedia matters. The Lifedrive has become too unstable to do anything productive on a multimedia front.

Second, Apple has not completely moved away from the Hard Disk drive, surprisingly, although I think that we may be seeing the last of the iPod Classics this time around.

On other more recent matters, the Foleo? Well, I think that there has been enough written by people who are much more knowledgeable than myself on this subject, so I don't think that my 2 cents are worth it. Right now Palm can almost do nothing right! I really hope that they improve over the next few months.

A special note to everyone in the Palm readership. You must, I repeat, must go to Mike Cane's exquisite series of articles entitled, The Palm Foleo Disaster Part 1.
& Part 2. (Part 2 is a lot better as it shows significant comparisons between Handspring and Palm and suggests that Palm's underlying mantra of keeping things simple which made it so successful earlier, may in fact be holding it back today and stifling innovation).

In regards to the Lifedrive itself, well I am actually looking into purchasing a Palm TX - It seems to have been well tested by many out there. The latency of the Lifedrive has finally approached my last nerve. Additionally, my infrared transmitter is acting up. I have given some consideration to setting up a solid state 'drive' but the more I think about it, the more it appears to be more of a side project than something that I seriously want to keep critical data on.

That of course leads to the question of the blog. Should I keep the name of the blog if I change devices or wrap it up? Your thoughts on this subject --- priceless.

LDD.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep the name the same. You've earned a lot of respect around the community with your thoughts.

I think if you keep the Links live on the left side, then those diehards looking for information on the Lifedrive will find it there.

John A.

Anonymous said...

>>>The latency of the Lifedrive has finally approached my last nerve.

Hooooo! Me too! I am sooo sick of that fekkin orange light! Even with a Compact Flash card instead, the slowness is like fingernails on a blackboard.

Recently I've had stuttering with a large AVI via TCPMP. I think it might be due to fragmentation. I'm thinking of a Secure Erase and starting all over. All the vids I thought I'd carry and use ... well, I mainly view long things *once* and that's it. Music vids get more than one view. Strange how *having* it is different than my envisioned use.

Thanks much for the Foleo links too.